1/3 cup canola oil or pecan oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and pepper
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Lemon Basil Butter (Optional)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced shallot
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped basil
Kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with canola oil.
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, pound each breast until it is a 1/2-inch thick.
- Heat canola oil in a large cast-iron pan over medium heat.
- Prepare your dredging station by adding the all-purpose flour and a generous pinch of kosher salt and black pepper to a shallow bowl. To the second shallow bowl, add the eggs; slightly beat using a fork. In a third shallow bowl, combine chopped pecans, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Dip each breast in the flour mixture until lightly coated on both sides, then in the egg mixture, allowing the excess to drip off. Finally, dip each breast in the pecan mixture, pressing the mixture onto each side of the breast. Make sure each breast is thoroughly coated.
- Gently place chicken in hot oil. Cook on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown. Season with a pinch of kosher salt immediately after flipping, and do the same on the other side after you remove the breasts from the hot oil and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. on an instant-read thermometer. Allow the breasts to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the breasts are in the oven, make the lemon basil butter: Melting the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and shallot and allow to cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shallot is soft and the garlic is fragrant. Whisk in the lemon juice and allow the mixture to cook for an additional minute. Stir in the basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate chicken breasts and serve alongside lemon basil butter.