Pecan Apple Stuffing
By: The American Pecan Promotion Board
Serving Size: 18
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
Add pecans to this must-have Thanksgiving side dish for a flavorful crunch. Combine naturally sweet pecans with Italian sausage, celery, apples and herbed stuffing for an irresistible version that will become an instant family favorite.
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1 tablespoon olive oil or pecan oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
12 ounces herb seasoned cubed stuffing
2 cups tart apples, chopped (about 3 small apples)
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 to 2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large casserole dish or 9×13 inch pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown Italian sausage, breaking it up into crumbles. Drain on paper towels. Discard excess grease.
- In the same pan, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Sauté onions, celery, and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until starting to soften and fragrant.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked sausage, sautéed onion mixture, stuffing cubes, apples, and pecans.
- Add one cup of broth and stir to combine. If stuffing mixture is too dry, add additional 1/2 cup of broth or more if desired. Be careful not to add too much liquid. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves 18.