Mexican Style Oaxacan Bowl with Pecans
By: Sylvia Fountaine, Feasting at Home
Serving Size: 3
Cook Time: 40 mins
This vegan and grain-free Mexican Style Oaxacan Bowl is chock full of flavor and good-for-you ingredients. Toasted chipotle pecans add a flavorful and nutritious crunch to a bowl full of chipotle sweet potatoes, roasted sweet peppers, seasoned black beans and cabbage slaw.
For the spice rub:
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground chipotle (see recipe notes)
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the sheet pan ingredients:
1/2 of a medium red onion, cut in 1/2 inch wedges
1 medium yam or sweet potato, diced into 3/4-inch cubes, skin on
8 baby bell peppers, cut in half (see recipe notes)
1/2 cup fresh pecan halves
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 can unseasoned or seasoned black beans (see recipe notes)
For the quick cabbage slaw:
1/2 of a red cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil or pecan oil
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or scallions or both
1 teaspoon coriander
Salt and lime juice to taste
Avocado, cilantro, scallions, cabbage slaw, Mexican Secret Sauce or Vegan Avocado Sauce (see recipe notes)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix cumin, chipotle and salt together in a small bowl.
- Roast the sheet pan ingredients: Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place onion, sweet potato and peppers on top. Drizzle onion and potato with a little olive oil and sprinkle generously with the spice mix, reserving 1 teaspoon for the pecans. Toss to coat all sides well. Place in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, tossing again halfway through.
- On another smaller parchment-lined pan, toss the pecans with 2 teaspoons maple syrup and the remaining 1 teaspoon of the spice mix. Place in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove pan from the oven and give the pecans a quick toss to loosen them up so they’re easier to remove once cooled.
- If seasoning the beans (see recipe notes below), do so now. Then in a small pot over low heat, heat the seasoned or unseasoned beans.
- Meanwhile make the slaw: Finely chop or shred the cabbage and place in a medium bowl with the rest of the ingredients, toss. Taste, adjust lime and salt.
- When the veggies are fork tender, assemble the bowls. Divide the beans among 2 to 3 bowls. Divide all the veggies, placing them over the beans, and top with slaw and garnishes of your choice.
- Serve with the Mexican Secret Sauce or Vegan Avocado sauce (recipes in notes), and if you’d like, top with sour cream and hot sauce.
- You may substitute with a mix of smoked paprika and chili powder
- You may substitute 1 regular red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- Links for Mexican Secret Sauce or Vegan Avocado Sauce recipes
- If using unseasoned black beans, add salt to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon), and 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin and chili powder. You could also add sautéed onion and garlic, and canned green chilies, or canned chipotles.