Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts Pasta with Pecans
By: American Pecan Promotion Board
Serving Size: 8
Cook Time: 30 mins Prep
15 mins Cooking
Paired with Brussels sprouts and butternut squash, rich and buttery pecans lend a satisfying crunch to this hearty pasta dish.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or pecan oil, divided
3 cups diced butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes (1 medium squash)
1 pound Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup raw pecan halves
1 pound orecchiette pasta (or other short-cut pasta, such as penne, rigatoni, fusilli)
2 large shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup shredded Pecorino, plus additional to serve (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix the butternut squash and Brussels sprouts with 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. Pour the vegetables onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Roast until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a dry skillet, toast the pecans for about 5 minutes over low heat until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, fill a large pot with water and salt it liberally. Boil the pasta until al dente, then drain it, saving a bit of pasta water.
- Immediately return the pasta to the pot and mix in the sliced shallots, a tablespoon or two of the pasta water, remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and a few grinds of black pepper. When fully incorporated, gently mix in the pecans, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, and shredded Pecorino cheese. Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil and, if desired, a garnish of additional cheese. Serves 8.