Balsamic Grilled Chicken with Pecan Pesto
By: Amy Rains, Wholesomelicious
Serving Size: 6
Cook Time: 25 mins
Juicy grilled chicken topped with a pecan pesto is the perfect dish to incorporate into your summertime menu. In addition to being gluten-free, this pecan pesto takes your traditional pesto to a whole new level by adding a sweet and nutty taste.
For the pesto:
3 cups fresh basil leaves
2/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1/2 cup pecan pieces
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2/3 cup pecan, olive or avocado oil
For the chicken:
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup coconut aminos
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 medium sized chicken breasts
- Make the pesto: in a food processor or blender, pulse the ingredients for pesto: basil, parmesan cheese, pecans, garlic, salt and pepper. While motor is running, add in the oil. Continue to pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients for the chicken: balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, and garlic. Marinate the chicken in a large container for at least 20 minutes, up until 4 hours.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat (or prepare a charcoal grill).
- Place chicken on the prepared grill and cook for 4-6 minutes (depending on thickness of the chicken breast). Flip over and repeat on the other side. Continuing to grill until chicken is no longer pink and internal temperature is 165 degrees F. Remove and cover with foil until ready to eat.
- Serve by spooning the pecan pesto on top of each chicken breast over a bed of greens.