Press-in pie crust
· 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
· ½ tsp kosher salt
· ¾ tsp granulated sugar
· ½ tsp baking powder
· ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed
· 3 Tbsp whole milk
· 1 large egg
· ⅛ tsp kosher salt
Maple Chocolate Pecan Filling
· 3 large eggs
· 1 yolk
· 2/3 cup maple syrup
· 1/4 cup light brown
· 1/4 cup granulated sugar
· 2 Tbsp Dutch process cocoa powder
· 1/2 tsp kosher salt
· ¼ cup (4 Tbsp) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
· 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
· 1 1/2 cups whole toasted pecan halves or pecan pieces
· 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
To make the crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and have ready a 9-inch pie plate.
2. Whisk the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat the butter and milk in either a 2-cup glass measuring cup, if you have one, or a glass bowl in the microwave on high, in three 30-second increments, stirring in between each. Or, in a small saucepan on the stovetop over medium-high heat, until the butter is melted, and the milk is steaming hot—the mixture doesn’t need to boil.
4. Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until the mixture holds together when squeezed.
5. Transfer the dough to the pie plate and press it into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate. Crimp the edges or use the tines of a fork to create a simple pattern.
6. Place in the freezer while you make the filling.
To make the egg wash:
1. Whisk the egg and salt in a small bowl and brush over the edge of the crust before adding the filling.
To make the filling:
1. Whisk the eggs and yolk together in a large bowl.
2. Whisk in the maple syrup, sugars, cocoa powder, and salt.
3. Whisk in the melted butter and vanilla.
4. Sprinkle the pecans and chocolate chips over the bottom of the crust and pour in the filling.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until the edges of the filling are set and puffy and the middle jiggles just slightly when you nudge the pan.
6. Let cool until room temperature, about 4 hours, before serving.