Loaded Sweet Potato Skins with Pecans
By: Julia Mueller, Roasted Root
Serving Size: 8
Cook Time: 4 h 20 mins
These loaded sweet potato skins are stuffed with shredded chicken, bacon, goat cheese and pecans for an added crunch. Always a crowd-pleaser, these are great served as a game day appetizer or at a gathering with friends and family.
1 1/3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Loaded Potato Skins:
4 small sweet potatoes
3 slices thick-cut bacon (reserve drippings)
4 ounces goat cheese
1/2 cup raw pecan pieces
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- Add all of the ingredients for the shredded chicken to a slow cooker. Secure the lid and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and use two forks to shred it. Place shredded chicken in a mixing bowl.
- While chicken is cooking, roast the sweet potatoes: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Using a fork, poke each sweet potato several times, then wrap each potato in foil. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes), until very soft when poked with a fork. Remove potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Add the cooked bacon, bacon drippings, goat cheese, pecans, oregano, and sea salt to the mixing bowl with the chicken. Stir everything until well-combined. Taste the filling mixture for flavor and add more sea salt as desired.
- Slice each sweet potato length-wise and scoop out about half of the flesh to make room for the shredded chicken filling. (Note: You can use the sweet potato flesh for mashed sweet potatoes, or a side dish or dessert of choice).
- Stuff the sweet potato skins with the chicken filling and serve. (Note: you can leave the potato skins in the warm oven until guests arrive and you’re ready to serve).