Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Pecan Turtles
By: Ashley Manila, Baker by Nature
Serving Size: 24
Cook Time: 90 mins
These dark chocolate salted caramel pecan turtles are a tasty sweet treat. Place two pecan halves on top of each turtle to form a heart perfect for Valentine’s Day – or any other day!
4 cups fresh pecan halves
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
8 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- For the Pecans: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast them for 6 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through baking. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- For the Dark Chocolate Pecan Turtles: Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly grease the parchment paper with non-stick spray.
- Arrange the toasted pecans on the prepared sheets in star shaped groups of 5. Set aside until needed.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in the granulated sugar, corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches 235 degrees F. on your candy thermometer. Remove from heat and vigorously whisk the mixture for 30 seconds. Set aside for 5 minutes, it’s best to set a timer.
- After five minutes, using a medium cookie scoop, spoon level mounds of the caramel over each nut cluster, aiming to drop it in the center of the cluster. Set aside while you melt your chocolate.
- Fill a medium pot 1/3 full with water and bring it to a low simmer over medium heat. Place a heatproof bowl that will fit on top of the pan snugly, but will not touch the simmering water, on top of the pan. Reduce the heat to low and add the chopped chocolate into the bowl over the pot. Heat until the chocolate is completely melted, stirring occasionally with a silicon spatula. Once the chocolate is completely melted, stir the mixture smooth, then carefully remove the bowl from the heat.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the melted chocolate over each caramel pecan cluster, again, aiming to drop it in the center of the cluster. Set aside, at room temperature, until the chocolate has set, about 1 hour. Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 1 week. Makes 24 turtles.