Brown Butter Crust:
· 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
· Pinch of salt
· 1 ½ Tbsp cane sugar
· 1 egg yolk
· 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
· 5 Tbsp browned butter (cold & cubed)
· 3 Tbsp vegetable shortening
· 1 Tbsp ice water (add more if too dry)
Pecan Pie Filling:
· Two 14oz cans dulce de leche
· 3 eggs
· 1/2 Tbsp water
· 2 cups pecan pieces
· ¼ – ½ tsp mesquite smoked salt
· ½ tsp cinnamon
· ⅓ cup agave syrup
· 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
· Pecan halves for decorating pie
Store-bought pie crust works as well.
Brown Butter Crust
1. Add your flour, salt, sugar, brown butter and vegetable shortening to food processor and pulse 6-7 times until the butter looks like small peas.
2. Whisk together the egg yolk, vinegar and ice water.
3. Slowly drizzle that into the food processor while on. Process until the dough comes together. Form into a disk and wrap with plastic, refrigerate for 30-45 min.
4. Roll out your pie dough to about 13 in, it always helps me to roll it out with plastic wrap so it doesn’t crack. Refrigerate in the plastic wrap 15 min.
Pecan Pie Filling
1. Whisk together 1.5 cans of dulce de leche, 2 eggs, cream, mesquite salt, cinnamon, agave and pecans.
2. Beat remaining egg with the water for egg wash.
1. Press your pie dough into your 9-in pie dish. Add the pecan pie filling and brush the edges with egg wash.
2. Bake at 350F for 45-55 min, you want the crust golden and the center jiggly.
3. Mix together remaining 1/2 can of dulce de leche with some heavy cream to drizzle on top.