Breakfast Bread Pudding with Pecan Crumble
By: Brandon Matzek, Kitchen Konfidence
Serving Size: 10
Cook Time: 3 hours 15 mins
This breakfast bread pudding a day ahead of time making it a great option for easy entertaining. When you’re ready to serve it, simply prepare the pecan crumble and pop it in the oven for a delicious and satisfying dish.
For the bread pudding:
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, for greasing
1-pound brioche bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons good bourbon
Pinch of fine grain sea salt
1/2 cup pecans, roasted (see recipe notes)
For the crumbled topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
Sliced persimmons, for serving (optional)
Maple syrup, for serving (optional)
- Lightly butter a 9 x 13 baking dish, then place cubes of brioche in the baking dish in an even layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugars, vanilla, bourbon and a pinch of sea salt. Sprinkle toasted pecans over the brioche, then pour the wet ingredient mixture evenly all over the bread making sure it’s covered thoroughly. Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or up to overnight).
- To bake the bread pudding: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and remove baking dish from fridge.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumble: Add flour, pecans, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter to a medium bowl, and using your fingertips, rub ingredients together until evenly combined and clumps start to form. Sprinkle the surface of the bread evenly with the crumbs. Bake until the bread pudding is puffy and the top is golden, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- To serve, cut squares of warm bread pudding, and place on small plates. Top with sliced persimmons and maple syrup, if desired.
Recipe notes: Find an easy recipe for roasted pecans here.