1 cup fresh pecan pieces
3 Medjool Dates, pits removed
6 Pink Lady Apples (can use half apples, half pears, if desired), peeled
1/4 cup Ghee or grass-fed butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla or seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
1/4 cup coconut butter, warmed
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay the pecan halves in a single layer across a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly golden brown and fragrant. Watch closely as they can burn easily. Remove and let cool completely.
- Roughly chop the dates and add them to the food processor along with the cooled pecans. Pulse together until the mixture resembles very coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Core the apples and slice them into even 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Heat the ghee in a sauté pan or skillet over medium/high heat. When the ghee is melted and hot, add the apple slices to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples have softened and caramelized, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the cinnamon and if using, vanilla bean seeds, and sauté for another 30 seconds, fully coating the apples with the spice. Remove from heat. If using vanilla extract, toss in at this point.
- Spoon the apples onto a serving platter and drizzle with warm coconut butter.
- Sprinkle the top of the apple dish with the pecan crumble.
- Serve warm.