Candied Pecan and Herb Chicken Salad
By: Lexi Davidson, Lexi's Clean Kitchen
Serving Size: 4
Cook Time: 15 mins Prep
50 mins Cooking
Candied pecans lend a sweet crunch to balance superb herbed chicken and fresh fruit in this sensational salad recipe.
2 cups pecan halves
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water
1/4 cup maple sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Grilled Herbed Chicken:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or pecan oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
1/8 teaspoon red peppers flakes
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar, champagne vinegar, or red wine vinegar
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon shallots, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Other Salad Ingredients:
1/4 cup fresh apples
4 cups mesclun greens or mixed greens
1/4 cup fresh mozzarella, diced or brie cheese
1 red onion, sliced thinly
3 fresh figs, sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and line a half-sheet tray with parchment paper.
- Make Candied Pecans: In a small mixing bowl, beat egg white and water together until frothy. In a separate bowl mix together maple sugar and sea salt and set aside. Toss pecans in the frothed egg white mixture first and then place in spice mixture until evenly coated. Place on sheet tray and bake for 30 minutes. The pecans should be well coated in the maple sugar. Use half in the salad and save half for a snack or other recipe.
- Make Grilled Herbed Chicken: Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. In a small mixing bowl, mix together garlic powder, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and fresh herbs. Coat chicken well in herb mixture. Place chicken on a greased grill or grill pan for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked through. If using a grill pan, make sure to cover the chicken to ensure even cooking. Take chicken off heat, slice, and set aside until ready to eat.
- Make Shallot Vinaigrette: While chicken cooks, whisk salad dressing ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
- Assemble all salad ingredients on a serving platter of choice. Drizzle with shallot vinaigrette and devour!